Sunday, March 26, 2017

Rough Draft... Really Rough

I promised sketches of possible layouts, so sketches of possible layouts is what you will receive.


                                                                                                      

As you can tell, I am no Picasso, but I did warn you that it's a "really rough" draft. 

So, the top left sketch is just for me to keep in mind that I'm choosing to go with a head shot as my cover photo. Now, to the right of that sketch was my first idea for the two page spread. As you can see, I would have two-columns and a photo of the band. The band would be photoshopped onto a white background, because where I would be shooting them wouldn't be so glamorous. The lack of glamour would be due to the fact that it would not be easy to move their equipment around from place to place and I would like their instruments to be included, because that's what brings of everything together. 

The two sketches that sit below the cover page are my second idea. I would have to include an extra two page spread to show off a photo of them. I was hesitant with this idea, because I questioned not having their photo on the first page of their spread. I really liked this layout, because the name of their band would look like the photo I posted in my previous blog, which I loved. The hard part is figuring out how to produce such a design, but I have a few ideas. I had a friend state that she didn't like magazines with too much text and maybe I could just add this design to my first idea, but I think it may be too much. I've also seen many magazines that have two page spreads consisting of one large photo. 

Example: 




The two sketches on the right are my ideas for my table of contents. I'm not going to feature every single story or article in my table of contents, just the bigger ones. I don't want to give the magazine's entire content away on one page. I also would like the readers to flip through and see the other, smaller content. To give my magazine a clean look I'm going with the top sketch. It's basically going to be the neck of a guitar spread out across two pages. Above will be text indicating that this spread is indeed the table of contents. Below will consist of large numbers with the article name and a small summary. I decided to go with the guitar, because it's a necessity in any rock band as well as something my consumers will most likely enjoy seeing. I chose not to go with the bottom sketch, because it is kind of messy and reminds me of magazines that I do not want mine to resemble.



No comments:

Post a Comment