Sunday, March 12, 2017

PLUSH

How does Plush Magazine sound?

I don't know why I asked, because regardless of what anyone thinks I love it.

I actually spoke to a few people about this title and to be totally honest most of them didn't understand it. They said that when they think of the word "plush" they envision a stuffed animal. I'm clearly not trying to get people to think of a stuffed animal when they hear my magazine's name. I want them to envision guitars and barbed wire! Yeah! Edgy things! Rock N' Roll!

The thing about the kids that didn't get the title is that they don't listen to rock. They'd never heard of the bands that inspired my variety of names. The people who liked it just so happened to be people who knew who these bands were and who immediately understood that the name came from a 90's song.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not planing on having a very traditional magazine, so I want my masthead to stand out. I've been scavenging through 1001 fonts and found a few that caught my eye. I also found a cool font that Pages offers. I may have also made my own little font. That happens to be my favorite of the three, but I'm a bit bias.



Here they are. The top is from Word, the middle from 1001fonts.com and the bottom, well me. I actually made it by using Pages on my laptop. I was messing around with the draw feature that pops up when you click 'Shape' at the top of the program and voila! Part of the reason its my favorite is because it has that edgy look that I want my magazine to encompass. The other reason its my favorite is because I can just picture it coming to life. I see it looking great on a myriad of covers and I see myself starting a real magazine with the name Plush in a font I created.

Some of my peers thought it was a bit much for anything other than rock, so I decided to narrow my target audience to rock lovers, not just music lovers. I was also told it was a little heavy, but I'm stuck on it. Also, other magazines have some heavy mastheads as well, and I don't think that that's any deciding factor in whether or not someone subscribes or buys your magazine. Plus, there's nothing soft about rock, except soft rock.






No comments:

Post a Comment